Pizza has its origins in ancient Greece. At that time, the inhabitants of this country were eating flat bread smeared with olive oil, garlic and sprinkled with fresh or dried herbs. This was a sensation among the Romans, who after conquering Greece were fascinated not only with Greek culture, religion, art and science, but also with Hellenic cuisine. They moved the art of baking flat bread to themselves and called focaccia. How to make pizza dough?
Italian pizza straight from Naples – the history of pizza
In the 17th century, when tomatoes were brought to Europe, these vegetables immediately appeared on crunchy dough. The inhabitants of Naples liked them the most. When in 1889 Naples, the queen of Italy, Margaret of Savoy with her husband visited Naples, the court baker prepared a cake in their honor decorated with additions in the national colors: basil, mozzarella and tomatoes. This is how the simplest pizza called Margherita was created – from the name of the queen. Applying various additives to the unleavened cake has become a reality – however, it is worth noting that Italians rarely exceed the number of 3 ingredients. It used to be because of poverty – fewer ingredients landed on the pizza because they simply lacked. Today, Italians believe that the tradition is right in this case and do not put everything on the pizza that the fridge gave.
How to make a pizza dough – recipe
It is getting harder and harder to find a pizza in town that is as good as home-made pizza. We decide on the thickness of the dough and additions. The secret to a successful pizza is a good dough recipe. What’s more – you don’t have to be a skilled cook to deal with the creation of such a cake. Just like you don’t have to be able to rotate them in the air like in movies!
- one and a half cups of wheat flour
- half a glass of warm boiled water
- two tablespoons of vegetable oil, preferably good quality olive oil
- 3 to 4 grams of instant yeast (powder), you can also use fresh – a conversion from fresh to dry
- half a teaspoon of salt
- half a teaspoon of sugar
- Pour a glass of warm water into a suitable bowl, dissolve salt, sugar and yeast in it, add oil and flour. Mix all ingredients gently by mixing. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it stops sticking to your hands, if necessary add some more flour.
- Prepare the dough prepared in this way for about 20 minutes in a warm place, covering the bowl with a clean cloth to rise. You can put them in a warm oven.
- Then divide the risen dough into four parts, form a ball into each, kneading the dough again. Leave one portion of the dough on a board sprinkled with flour, transfer the rest to the bowl and cover with a cloth.
- Roll out the dough ball to a thickness of about 5 millimeters, giving it a round shape.
- At the very end, spread the dough with sauce, apply the appropriate ingredients. Bake in an oven preheated to 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.